Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Mr. Wizard Couldn't Save The Day



Jesus, who hadn't been in the gym for awhile, works one of the heavy bags in the photo above.

I begged off sparring at Loyola Park, thinking I would put my energy into the general workout.  My body had other plans.  I was dragging like Tooter Turtle trying to get out of a predicament back in time.  Mr. Wizard could have said "Drizzle, Drazzle, Druzzle, Drome; Time for this one to come home", all day long, and it still wouldn't have helped me.  By the time my body decided to perk up, it was time for the gym to close.


Arvin sparred with David. . . . .


Kathy sparred with David. . . . .


Ro and Alan mixed it up.  

Meanwhile, at my own gym, I noticed the seasonal sports coach putting together a flyer for a track meet.  "Oh, he runs that sport too,"  I thought to myself.  "I can recruit the kids who show up for this for football," he explained to the staff.  I've been looking at the low numbers I have so far for the spring boxing session, and I'm currently at a loss as to how to get more people in.  But boxing continues to be a hard sell, especially among the adults.

The problem with getting the kids interested is mostly on them:  a lack of self-motivation.  I teach the techniques, I suggest exercises and give advice on what to eat.  But if a kid doesn't want to push themselves to take advantage of what the program offers, there's not much else I can do.  I'm up against a generation who believes professional wrestling is real, and who prefers the free-for-all that is mixed martial arts.  

Some of the kids seem not to be able to comprehend a sport where there is no ball to kick, hit, or throw, nor teammates.  No matter how many times I point it out, some kids don't get there is a big difference between a street fight and a boxing match.  

As for the adults,  some sign up without figuring in their other time commitments, mainly work, school, and their kids.  When they disappear after a few classes, I think, "Wow, that's some money thrown down the drain."  Others underestimate how tough the workout is, claiming, "Yeah, I need this," but giving up after a few tries.  Even though I make it clear that the adults do not have to spar nor compete, the thought of it scares some away.  

It's an ongoing battle, and Mr. Wizard can't easily fix that, either.  

No comments: