Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Boxing Party


I wish parents would tell me if their kids have some medical issues before they sign up for the boxing gym.  I learned that one of the kids has asthma when they laid an inhaler on the equipment table.  I spent the rest of the time watching the kid like a hawk, hoping they would not have an attack.

This was a reoccurring issue while summer camp was going on.  I never knew who had a medical issue or not.  Of course, some of the kids were lying about having medical conditions to avoid having to do exercise when they were in the gym.  But some of them were not.  I understanding wanting to involve kids in activities.  What I don't understand is not checking to see if an activity is appropriate for a kid who has a medical condition.

Later, I attended an open house party at a private boxing gym in Evanston, IL ran by Fernando.  Barry, his wife and daughter, and Yale were in attendance.  Erick, who has trained with Barry, was there. I also met Joe, a 15-year-old who trains with Barry and Fernando.  Reygie was also there, and he was looking good in a suit.

Fernando had really fixed up the gym -- which used to be a BBQ restaurant -- up.  Heavy bags galore, free weights, a sound system, TVs, a ring, etc.  It is poised to fill the void left by the Evanston Boxing Gym, a place that used to be up the street until it recently closed down.  Fernando's in a good spot near downtown Evanston.  I think it will be a success.


No comments: