Wednesday, June 17, 2015

No Avalanche On The West Side


It looked as if Jordan, a new boy who signed up for the gym, was going to be the only participant in the eight-to-twelve year olds class yesterday.  His mom, a pleasant sort, sat next to the equipment table, watching as I worked with her son.  Then Man-Man, Mya, and Ashley came in -- 45 minutes late.  "I thought the class started a half-hour later", their dad said.  I had told him several time previously that the hour for the youth class was going to change.  They only have an hour now.  Honestly, that is all the time the younger kids need.

Another parent showed up with their eight year old, wanting to sign them up.  "The class is full," I informed them.  Not all of the 16 kids who are currently in the class showed up yesterday.  I was a bit relieved that I had no avalanche to deal with.  But there was no way I was going to add a 17th kid.  The parent was disappointed, but they should not have assumed there was going to be room available on the day a class begins.

Ben Jr. and Lupe showed up for the teen class that followed, Shanita came in over an hour later.  Julius wasn't with her.  Shanita said she stayed after school for yet another extracurricular activity.  Basically, she came to the gym to tell me she wasn't going to be there until the next day.

The adult class was very chill.  I showed them the basics, and then they took their workout in their own hands.  They agreed when I told them they can craft their own workout for their fitness purposes.  As of now, none of the adults are interested in competing.  I got a laugh when I asked if they wanted to step on the scale (I borrowed one from Coach James), especially from the women.  "You don't have to," I laughed.


No comments: