Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Four Rounds, Three People


The beginning of the Spring session saw six new people in the gym.  Don't ask me their names, because I didn't catch any of them.  Maybe in the next post, I will have gotten a few or all of them.

Louis wondered, "Where are the other coaches?"  "Alan's the only coach in here," I answered, which was partially true.  Alan is the only person there who is actually employed by the Chicago Park District.  I'm a registered amateur boxing coach with USA Boxing, but I'm a volunteer at the gym.  Colonel coaches jiu jitsu and boxing, but at other gyms, and Kenny is not an official coach, but he does that job very well.



Colonel and I sparred one round, and he sparred another with Sarah.  Colonel is determined to work his way up to being able to do three rounds back-to-back again.  I suspect that back in the day, Colonel could probably do way more rounds than that.


Colonel was doing a lot of slick moves in regards to avoiding punches while sparring with both Sarah and myself.  I have to admit that was a bit lazy in the ring.  I was a little tired, and I wasn't throwing punches with a whole lot of force.  But I did pressure Colonel a little more, by backing him up into the corners, and I kept trying to use left hooks (to no avail) on Sarah.


I've gotten down to 178 pounds.  I opted to do an at-home colon test (I'm over 50 so I have to do those types of tests now), and I couldn't eat beef or pork for awhile.  The test is done, but I'm going to see how long I can continue to go without eating the heavier meats for awhile.  I'll never be a vegetarian, but since I've seen the weight loss results of cutting down on the meat and pushing the veggies and fruits more, I'm going to keep that going for awhile.


No comments: