Friday, May 04, 2012

Ropes On The Canvas


I took my camera in today to  get the photos off of it.  The camera had been acting up on and off; I assumed it had something to do with the hundreds of pictures on it.  When I got to the drug store, I discovered only five photos were on there, and most of the photos were not of good quality.  There was a bit of relief, because I thought, "That's some extra money I won't have to pay," but I was also ticked because I didn't get a chance to burn the lost pictures onto a CD.  How the pictures were deleted is somewhat of a mystery.  Andre and I were trying to find pictures I had taken of him in the ring previously, but we couldn't find them.  Now I know why.  Well, my niece Jalissa is graduating with a Master's degree on Friday; there will be more room to take pictures of her. 

Amy and I were the only women in the gym.  The guys were Valdez, Professor, Andre, Tommy, Willie and Art.  No sign of Patrick, Andre Two, Igor, Franco, Jacob or Max. 

Andre showed me the drills he does to work on his footwork.  One drill involves laying out jump ropes side by side, then stepping in-between and outside the ropes.  The second drill, one rope is laid out on the canvas, and stepping over the rope while bobbing and weaving.  I followed behind Andre, matching his movements.  Alan joked, "What are you all doing?  The two-step?"


Alan asked me when Friday Night Fights was on this week.  I told him the program would be on later than usual.  Actually, it's only on for a half-hour at 9:00 PM on Friday.  The actual matches won't be shown until Saturday night, around 9:00 PM.  Rudy Cisneros, a professional fighter whom Alan once trained, will have a match against Demetrius Andrade.  I saw Andrade fight in person at the International Boxing Championship back in 2007. 

I alternated between working out, recording Andre while he worked out and fooling around with my camera.  Art showed me some more self-defense techniques.  One had to do with using an awl as a weapon.  I told Pastor about it today, and a look of disapproval flashed across his face.  "Most of what I know about self-defense has been taught to me by men, and I eat that stuff up," I laughed. 



No comments: