Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pad Work Wednesday


Andre One and I did a couple of rounds of footwork drills before Jake and I were turned loose on each other in a three-round sparring session.  I actually managed to get Jake in the head and face a couple of times.  But I was trying to focus on giving out left hooks.  It's something about that punch. . . I execute it on the bags all the time, but rarely am I able to utilize it during sparring and fights.  One problem is that I feel I have to step around to get the left hook in.  By the time I get over in position, the other person has skipped out of my reach. 

Jake and Alan sparred about four rounds.  Ray called something out to Alan about, "Show 'em those slick moves, coach!"  In-between one of those rounds, Jake told me, "I'm being worn out."  Alan was walking around the ring, which he always does in-between rounds of sparring.  "Yeah, Alan's not bad for an old man," I laughed.  I don't think Alan heard me, or else he would have had something smart to say back.


Pads were put to good use Wednesday evening, as Gina and Elena worked with them.  Professor held pads for Andre One, and Willie held them for Ray.  Ray really got into the pad work, as Willie knows how to use the pads very well.  I also got pad work from Willie, but I wasn't concentrating well.  I kept missing what number punches he was calling out.



Earlier in the day, I was talking to Pastor Roger, and it occurred to me that although Alan and I went to temple a few months ago, I never invited Alan to go to church with me.  The pastor lit up.  "Let me know what day he'll be there so I can preach a special sermon for him!" he said.  Later, Alan said that he wouldn't mind attending a service.  When I told him what the pastor said, Alan laughed, "So the pastor's going to to try and get me, eh?"

No comments: