Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Spring Sparring


There were a lot of new names on the roster list, but only three actually came in on the first day of the Spring session:  Patrick and Victoria, who are new, and Helen, who returned to gym after having not been there for several sessions.

After Alan gave the new people a lesson, it was time for sparring.  Paul and Alan were up first; they had been joking about sparring long before they got to the gym.  "Paul said he wanted a piece of me," Alan smiled.  Paul knows how to clinch very well.  I kept calling out, "Break!"  Paul and Alan got into one clinch where they exchanged hooks to the body while they were tangled up. 

Melinda came in.  "I've forgotten everything," she said, once her and I got into the ring.  Alan kept telling me to "jab your way in!" but when I got in, Melinda would let go with bombs.  It was very hard to get very close to get any real significant shots in.  I did get in an overhand right once, and a straight right another time.  Melinda cracked me in my right eye twice.  Another jab of hers landed on my right cheek.  She was blocking most of what I threw, and doing it very well. 


My neck has been stiff for awhile; I took a crack from Melinda that didn't make that any better.  While switching food items from the refrigerator in my old apartment to the refrigerator in my new apartment (I've moved into a renovated apartment across the hall), I found a jar of Mineral Ice.  It's not the first time I've put something into a refrigerator only to forget about it and find it months later.  The stuff is probably still good.  But now I'm too lazy and tired to get up and go across the hall and get it.  Internet service is still hooked up for the moment in the old apartment, the bed is still in the old apartment, and I need to go to sleep once I finish this entry.  Tomorrow is another day of tasks: moving the last of my stuff into the new apartment and attempting to get laundry done.  I'm really going to need that Mineral Ice then.

No comments: