Tuesday, April 17, 2012

No Sparring and Odd Eating


Valdez and Andre, who had come in the gym the week before to check it out, returned on Monday.  They had signed up and they were ready to go.  The gym door didn't open until later, because Alan was late.  He talked to Caroline over the phone to convince her to open the door for those of us who were already there.

Earlier in the day, Alan had called me to at church to say he would be late.  I was in the Pastor's office when the phone rang.  Pastor answered, then handed the receiver to me, saying, "It's for you."  When I got on the line, Alan said, "Was that the pastor?  I'm surprised he didn't witness to me!"  I got a good laugh out of that.  After we ended the call, I told Pastor Roger what Alan said.  "I was nice to him.  That's being a witness," Pastor smiled. 

Before Alan arrived, I couldn't make my mind up whether or not I would spar or not.  I've been a little stiff lately, and sore in the usual spots.  But it wasn't enough to rule out sparring all together.  After the coach got there, I decided to spar, but alas, there was no one available to spar.  Sarah decided not to step in the ring, and mostly everyone else was brand new or not enough of a somewhat even match for me.  Most coaches usually make an attempt to match up people for sparring as they would match people up for regular bouts.  Once in awhile, some exceptions are made.  But if there are too many difference between sparring partners in weight, height, experience or age, it's usually better to be safe than sorry.

I have another new friend on Facebook; his name is Phil, and he was one of the two guys who had a Master's bout during the Golden Gloves finals this past Saturday.  He sent me an email detailing how the Golden Gloves came to include the Masters' Division in this year's competition.  It got me to thinking about how I might be able to compete in that division during next year's competition.  My only stumbling block would be getting approval from my doctor to participate.  I should go to the doctor armed with a copy of the book The Diabetic Athlete.  I hear that's a good book that makes an arguement that people should not stop competing in sports just because they've been diagnosed with diabetes. 

Stephanie, one of the volunteers at church who helps in the food pantry, told me that I look like I had lost some weight.  "I'm trying to," I told her.  I've been eating a lot lately, but not going to restaurants much.  I've been limiting myself to having one meal out a day (usually lunch), and eating the other two meals and any snacks at home.  Recently, I went through another period of time when I just don't feel like eating much at all.  It usually lasts for several days.  I couldn't tell you what brings it on.  I'll eat very little for breakfast, skip lunch, nibble on something late in the afternoon, then eat very little or nothing for dinner. 

When that quasi-fast ends, I either go back to eating normally -- which for me is eating about four small meals a day to keep the blood sugar regulated -- or I'm eating all the time, which is what has been happening recently.  Luckily, unlike other places I've worked in the past, food is not on constant display at church.  I can go in the food pantry sometimes or in the refrigerator to get a little snack.  I'm surprised a lot more people don't get carried out on stretchers from most offices because of the overload of leftover bagels and sweet rolls in conference rooms, cakes being brought in to celebrate employees' birthdays, and overflowing candy dishes in every cubicle. 

No comments: