Friday, April 27, 2012

More Lessons from Art and Andre


Jake and Andre Two (in the photo above) sparred again on Wednesday, but Alan suggested that they not repeat the war they had on Monday.  They worked together for three rounds. 


Andre and I sparred for three rounds.  I may have gotten a couple of punches in, but that was it.  He slipped half of what I put out there, and danced away from the other half.


Alan told me the same thing he's told me when I sparred with Oscar: "He's your height, so get him!"  But being almost the same height doesn't mean much when one of us is younger and faster, and that person isn't me. 


Andre and I worked the pads later, which further pointed out how slow my reflexes are these days.  But I like working the pads with Andre.  Pads is something I don't get to do often, either holding them or being the person throwing the punches, so I appreciate it when I do. 


Art (in the photo above) is more martial arts orientated.  "I don't know how these guys throw punches with the gloves on.  I can't use those," he told me.  He sometimes wears MMA gloves, which are not padded like boxing gloves are.  Otherwise, he doesn't wear any protection on his hands.  Art feels his punches don't feel effective when he's wearing boxing gloves.  He showed me some self-defense moves which involved using one's hands like hammers, as well as throwing elbows like punches.  I really liked the elbow moves. 

He noticed that I have a kubotan, which is another of those non-lethal self-defense weapons that I like.  Art showed me some other ways of using it against an attacker, including using it like a hammer to the face and eyes. 


No word yet about the boxing coach job at Simons Park.  I've been thinking about it every day, and the longer the wait about what's up, the more concerned I become. 

Gina and Elena came in again, but they plan to never spar.    Between me talking about the injuries and knockouts I've seen happen during sparring sessions, and them watching the sparring that has gone on so far since they've been in the gym. . . .well, that's not something they want to do.  Alan's usually good about convincing most of the women who come to the gym to try it, but Gina and Elena don't want to take it that far, which is fine.  They'll get a good workout, regardless.


No comments: