Thursday, April 12, 2012

Matthieu Spars With Me


Another quiet night at the gym.  Unfortunately, as per usual, a lot of the new people were missing.  Kelly, a massage therapist, came in, however.  I think that was the first time I'd seen her there.  She wasn't sure if she could bring her son inside the boxing gym.  I saw the boy briefly; she sent him to the basketball gym.  Alan told her it would be all right to bring her child in.  I appreciated Kelly asking in advance.  Most of the parents who had attended the gym in the past assumed it was okay to just have their kids there.  They'd ask if it was okay after they'd already brought their kids there numerous times.

Mary really doesn't want kids in the gym when the adults are there.  I agree with her on that to an extent.  If some one's kid is going to be there once in awhile, fine.  Parents deal with babysitting issues, and sometimes, schedules don't work out.  But when it becomes a habit, that may become an issue, especially in terms of safety.  An older kid may stay in one spot if directed to do so, but a toddler probably won't.  There are people moving around, heavy bags swinging, plus, loose hand weights around.  It wouldn't do for a kid to get hurt. 

I have a softer stance towards kids in the gym during the adults' time than I used to in the past.  If you've been reading this blog for the past seven years, you may be familiar with my rants against kids hanging around the gym.  Kids eight years and older do have an opportunity to train on Tuesdays and Thursdays with Barry.  If they are able to do that, they should.  I've helped out on occasion on those afternoons when it's the kids' turn in the gym, and it's been pleasant.  I've found there is something good about interacting with kids in boxing that I've not always found interacting with kids elsewhere, not even at church. 


Alan wondered out loud, "Who are we gonna get to spar with you, Hillari?"  Amy had recently told Alan, "I'm not going to spar with Hillari!"  Kelly just started last night, Victoria wasn't going to get in the ring, Grace was content to work the bags, and both Sarah and Melinda were absent.  Neither Art or Tommy wanted to spar.  Matthieu told me, "If you don't find anyone else, I'll go a round with you."

I told Matthieu we would go light, so he didn't get his mouthpiece.  I was also conscious of the fact that his ankle is still on the mend.  Matthieu has another appointment with the doctor before he can be cleared for activity.  Yet, there he was, in the ring with me.  Alan kept telling me to work my way in with jab, then dig to the sides, like he always does.  Matthieu put his long arms to good use, covering up so I couldn't get many shots to his torso.  Trying to reach his head?  Forget it.  Matthieu is over six feet tall.


We actually went two rounds.  I kept backing Matthieu up against the ropes, but he would grab my arms before I get too many flurries in. 


After the second round, Matthieu was done.  He told me that I did get a hit on the top half of his chest, which caught him off guard.  "Your long arms are an advantage.  All you have to do with someone short like me is to keep putting the jab out there so that they can't get in," I told him. 


I was grateful to Alan that he took pictures of Matthieu and I in the ring.  I often forget to ask him or someone else to snap photos or videotape when I spar.

A guy was in earlier, who said he was in the finals of the Golden Gloves this week.  He normally trains at the Evanston Boxing Club, and he knows JJ, who trains there sometimes.  "I just want another place to come and work out," he said, so I explained to him how the gym runs before Alan came in.  He plans to sign up and return next week. 

Victoria surprised Art and I when she revealed that she's 27 years old, and that she has an eight year old daughter.  Victoria looks like she just turned eighteen.  Alan was saying that she should shadow box in the mirrors to check her form and make sure she's throwing punches correctly.  "I don't do mirrors.  When I'm at home looking into mirrors, I see all the stuff I have to do around the house, like picking up my daughter's toys," she smile.  Sometimes, I'm not crazy about shadow boxing in the mirrors either, but for a different reason.  Last night, I kept noticing my protruding belly.  "Mighty funny I have a beer belly, but I haven't drank beer regularly for ten years," I grumbled to myself.  My legs were looking a little ashy, despite the fact that I had put lotion on them earlier.  The gray in my hair seemed to have increased, which is another sign that I need to go to Ray soon and let him cut it.

No comments: