Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Sleeping Boxer


My allergies were bugging me big time on Wednesday.  Paulette dropped me off at Walgreens, and I picked up some allergy meds that worked a little too well.  Before I went inside the apartment, I talked with Ginny, a neighbor of mine from across the street.  "Hillari, you're nuts," she laughed, when I told her about the hit I had taken from Brandy on Monday.  In a more concerned tone, she told me that I  shouldn't spar on that evening.  Ginny's old enough to be my mother.  "Remember," she grinned, "I'm your elder, so you have to listen to me!" 

I dropped off to sleep when I got home, and when I woke up, it was way after the time I should have left for the gym.  I hustled down there and arrived ten minutes late.  "There she is," Alan said when I stumbled in.  "We were worried about you," Brandy said. 

I warmed up on the speed bag, and knew instantly that I was in no shape to spar Wednesday evening.  The allergy meds left me groggy, null, and void.  I wasn't focusing well.  Fortunately, Professor worked with Brandy.


Next, Sarah and Brandy sparred.  I was moving very slow, and not doing much of a workout, so I stayed close to ringside to watch. 


The still photo below is from Brandy and Sarah's sparring session.  Alan kept telling Brandy to stay on Sarah each time she got on the inside.  Brandy has to do that against her opponent next Friday, because from the clips we saw on her, Brandy's opponent is a bit aggressive. 


Alan asked Tommy again if he wanted to get in on the sparring with the girls.  He grinned as he told Alan, "Give me five months!"  Sarah and Brandy had just finished sparring, and Tommy told Professor and Israel, "See why I don't get into the ring with the women?  They're rough!"  Alan added, "Yeah, they bang each other when they're in there." 


I called Bob again, as suggested by Alan, to see about getting my coach's license faster.  Bob told me that the licences had been given out at the time people signed up for them.  I told him that I had been told mine would be mailed before the start of the Golden Gloves.  To double check, just in case my mind had a senior moment (like it's been doing from time to time since menopause started), I looked in the place in my apartment where I usually keep my boxing licences.  It wasn't there.  Bob told me he would look into it.

No comments: