Monday, March 19, 2012

Another Sparring Debate


There was a nice crowd in the gym on Monday: Professor, Brandy, Amy, Sarah, Emmanuel, Israel, the two Pauls (Alan's boss at his day job and the other Paul who's been in a few sessions before), Ray and Leon. 

It took me awhile to get focused and get into the workout.  A helpful government worker told me today that since I'm single and childfree, I can't expect any help in the way of resources.  If you've been reading this for awhile, you know I was laid off four years ago this month, and have been underemployed every since.  Fortunately, I was raised mostly by a woman who was a kid during the Great Depression, and I learned a little about making dollars stretch.  But stretching only goes so far before things start to fray and break.  I forced myself to tone down my sarcasm this morning while talking to the government worker.  Having worked a few decades ago in government office, I know sarcasm doesn't work with government employees, neither does screaming and yelling.  I could have gone to work this morning instead of wasting my time answering a bunch of questions that wasn't going to help me get anywhere. I had to keep my mind on the fact that I would be in the gym later in the day, and I could take out my frustrations on the equipment.

The ladies were at it again as Brandy, Sarah, and myself took turns sparring each other.  I sparred one round with Sarah, and two rounds with Brandy.  Emmanuel was watching Brandy closely.  "She's got to get in there and mix it up with Sarah," he said, and I agreed.  Then Brandy threw punches that backed Sarah up in the corner a few times.  Alan was waiting ringside with a towel, because Sarah's nose was bloodied up again. 

Ray was impressed with Brandy.  "I remember when she first came in here, and I was showing her footwork in the corner. Now she's in the Gloves, man," he was telling some of the other guys.  "I'm proud of her.  It's like I'm sending a niece off to college!"

Leon arrived in the middle of the evening.  But good natured joking around turned into an argument after Leon sparred with Emmanuel.  Leon accused Emmanuel of taking advantage in the ring and sucker punching him.  I didn't see what happened at the end of their sparring session.  Israel was holding the heavy bag for me, and I was concentrating on getting shots off.  But I heard some uproar coming out of the ring.

Alan and Ray tried to be the voices of reason.  "Come on, man, show sportsmanship!" Ray kept saying to Leon.  Emmanuel didn't really lose his cool much, but Leon was going on and on.  Roland, an 8th grader I'm acquainted with, and a friend of his came in the gym before the sparring ended, and they stuck around for the debate that followed.  Leon told Emmanuel he would be back in on Wednesday to show who's the better man in the ring.  "Hillari, are you going to bring your camera?  Good, because I want you to record it," Leon said to me.  The situation reminded me of Leon fussing with Ray a few months ago over whether or not Leon had been hit or slipped during their sparring session. Ray shook his head after Leon left.  "He always does this," he said.



No comments: