Friday, February 24, 2012

JJ Looks For A Fight


Earlier on Wednesday, I rode up to Home Depot with Ken, Paulette, and Aaron.  Ken is the head of the volunteer work crew that meets at church during the week, and Aaron is the church custodian.  They had to pick up some stuff for the building.  Paulette attends the church and volunteers often.  When I got inside, I found JJ, who works at that particular location.  "Barry told me you didn't have a fight lined up for Friday," I said.  "Yeah, I'm supposed to have a fight, but I don't know," he said. 

I remember Barry telling me he thought the problem was that some guys didn't want to fight JJ.  JJ's professional boxing career reads undefeated as of now, so that could be an explanation.  JJ had footage of his fight in Kentucky on his cell phone.  His opponent was finished off in the first round.  It reminded me of several years during the Chicago Park District boxing show season when JJ couldn't get any amateur matches.  JJ was experiencing a long winning streak, word had gotten around that he was good, and suddenly, no one was willing to fight him.  Tonight, Barry told me that JJ was going to weigh in, so it looks like he might get a fight on Friday after all.  I brought a ticket off of Barry.  Paul L. is also fighting on Friday, and I want to see him in the ring, too. 

In the gym on Wednesday night, I sparred with Brandy and Melinda.  I think I did about five rounds total, which I hadn't done for a long time.  If Brandy hits her opponent at the Golden Gloves with that gut shot she gave me, she has a very good chance of winning.  She also has a a good right hook.  I was stunned for a minute, and I admonished myself for having my hands down at the wrong time.  It was darn near impossible for me to throw any straight punches or hooks towards Melinda.  She held me off with her straight right most of the time, and she popped me in the gut, too.  I surprised her once with a one-two-right hook combination that caused her to stop and laugh.  But that was the last good combination I got in.  Most of the body shots I attempted missed the mark.  She hit me with something that worked my neck.  My neck was a little stiff as I tried to get comfortable enough to go to sleep later on.


Leon came in, so did Paul (another Paul; there have been so many guys named Paul hanging around the gym over the years), Tommy, Ray, and Josh.  Leon was still insisting that he knocked Ray down that time they sparred a few months ago.  Alan joked that Deo, the guy that had his eye socket broken by Leon awhile ago, came into the gym with a weapon looking for Leon.  The truth was that the last time Deo was in, he did ask about Leon, but he wasn't mad about what happened.  Leon tried to tell others in the gym that Deo was a heavyweight; Deo is tall and about 135 pounds, if not lighter. 

I was looking for Emmanuel and Lavelle, but they didn't come in this week.  Alan had me check the attendance list, and a lot of people have been missing lately.  "They used to put the phone numbers of people next to their names on the list.  I wish they continued to do that because I could call people and ask if they're able to still come in," Alan said.  That would also be nice for when the gym is closed for any reason, and people could be alerted in advance so they won't have to make a wasted trip. 

No comments: