Monday, February 06, 2012

A Lack Of Guys


Cynthia, the woman in the picture above, came to the gym to check it out.  She was looking for a kickboxing class, but I explained that Loyola Park doesn't have martial arts classes.  She put the gloves on, and even did a burn out on the bags.  She found everything interesting, and she plans to sign up and return.


I sparred with both Melinda and tall Sarah during a round robin session.  I moved my head and actually avoided some punches that way.  While in the ring, I did not feel my knees hurting or the hot flashes.  The ring is truly a fountain of youth.  I step in and thirty years is rolled back.  As soon as the sparring is over, I'm back to my real age. 


Wayne was the only guy in the gym for a minute.  Fortunately, Emmanuel came in, and he and Wayne got in some intense sparring.  Wayne ended up laying on the canvas a few times due to scuffles between him and Emmanuel and plain old slips.  Emmanuel was bopped with a few quick jabs, and Wayne had his middle worked by flurries of uppercuts. 

Matthieu had hurt his ankle while sparring with Jacob last Wednesday.  He sent me an email over the weekend that his ankle is broken and in a cast.  Matthieu won't be back in the ring for months.  That's too bad, especially since he just recently returned to the gym.


Sarah plays around on the heavy bag in the above picture.  Wayne asked why she wasn't ready to spar yet, and she answered, "I'm scared.  I guess I'll have to just jump in and do it."

Alan's hand is still on the mend, but he was not wearing his cast tonight.  "It was driving me crazy, so I took it off," he explained.  Upon closer look, I saw a couple of prominent scars/bruises on his hand, which hopefully will fade over time.

No comments: