Friday, January 20, 2012

Double Dose of Boxing

Alan said to me on Wednesday, "I didn't see your blog entry on Monday."  My laptop computer has been in the shop since last Saturday.  Micro Center is taking its sweet time getting around to letting me know what's wrong with it.  I was told on Wednesday that they were running a diagnostic test.  Today is Friday, and when I called the repair shop to check on it again, their voice mail was on.  I forgot to bring my camera to the gym on Monday, and I didn't get a chance to type in what happened that night.  Today's entry will cover the entire week, and I'm using a computer at church.   The photo above is of Brandy, as she works out on one of the heavy bags.

The gym was open on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  Mike, a new guy, came in.  "I missed the first few times," he said, and I told him I was glad he came in that night.  The attendance list had expanded, reflecting all of the people who had signed up, but some people did not appear that night.  They might have thought the field house was closed. 

Because I did not have my camera on Monday, I missed taking photos of the action between Alan and Jacob, who sparred four to five rounds.  Ray noticed how Alan adjusts his fighting style to different opponents.  I also missed having pictures taken of myself sparring with tall Sarah and Brandy (blond Sarah would have taken the photos if I had the camera).  Tall Sarah and I went light the first round.  My main problem was that I was not focused enough.  The ring is no place for daydreaming, and I paid for my inattention a few times. 

The second round I did was with Brandy.  She popped me in both of my eyes when I forgot to keep my chin down.  I got her with some right hooks, one of which turned her around a little.  She kept her jab going the entire time. 

The third round was with tall Sarah again, and that turned into our usual war.  Brandy was watching from the sidelines, and she commented, "You all went hard!"  I grabbed Sarah's arms a few times to slow her down, but I still took cracks to my head.

Ray told me about a new gym that opened on Montrose and Western.  His friend Chuck, who's a pro boxer, trains there.  From what Ray told me, the place is dead serious.  "Nobody speaks to you when you walk in.  You might get a nod, but those guys are hungry.  Most of them are planning to turn pro," he said.  It's also a training ground for MMA fighters. 

At the end of Monday evening, Ray was changing out of his shirt.  "Don't admire my sexiness, Hil," he joked to me.  "Well, I'm always sneaking looks when Alan has his shirt off," I said.  "Of all people, you don't want to see me with my clothes off," Alan smiled. 

On Wednesday, two more women joined the gym, Abby and Melinda.  Their presences brought the number of females in the gym up to nine, which is the biggest number of females I've eve seen in the gym.  Melinda said she's eager to spar.  "You never know when you'll have to protect yourself," she said, and I agreed.  Abby is not so keen on getting into the ring. 

Leroy and Matthieu sparred.  Later, I heard Leroy telling Ray that he hadn't boxed since he was 22 years old (Leroy is 27). 


I did a round robin with both Brandy and Sarah again.  Before I got into the ring, Alan gave me instructions.  "I want you to adopt a new game plan.  Keep your hands up at all times and wait until she (Sarah) gets close before throwing punches," he said.  The strategy worked, because I didn't take as many head shots, and I didn't get tired as fast. 

Brandy hit harder than usual.  A sock in my mouth gave me a bruised lip.  Another hit rocked me in my left eye.  "Move your head. . .it's harder to hit a moving target," Ray said.  Once I began to move my head, I was able to avoid some punches.  I got Brandy with a few hooks, but she backed away and avoided my overhand rights. 


It was a very nice surprise when Colonel showed up.  Colonel's on a walker, and still in a bit of pain from his hip replacement operation, but otherwise, he's fine.  He explained that his son Kenny is working hard on a book about the history of graffiti in Chicago which is why Kenny hasn't been in for awhile. 


Ray and Leroy (who's shirtless) have a laugh in this photo.  Blonde Sarah tackles the speed bag nearby.


Melinda (in the light shirt) holds the speed bag for Abby.


Abby warily watches the speed bag in this photo.  She told me that she's played rugby in the past.

Sarah jokes around with Ray in this photo, pretending to give him a knockout punch.

No word yet about any coaches' clinics that will be held within Chicago city limits (for a change).  It appears that I might just have to take my chances renewing my coach's license next month without having been to a clinic if one doesn't take place closer to me.

No comments: