Thursday, November 24, 2011

Boxing to the Oldies

It was the day before Thanksgiving, and most were out because they started their festivities early.  None of the other women were there, so I was it in terms of representing the female component.

Colonel (in the photo above) came in with several of his CDs.  He had been threatening to bring in some oldies for weeks, and he brought in some good ones.  The greatest hits of Rare Earth, Jr. Walker and the All Stars, and Sly and the Family Stone were played.  Alan said to me, "I like this music better than what is usually played."  Nate Jr. and Tall Kenny came to the gym to work out, and they had initially cut on the radio which is perpetually stuck on the hip-hop/dance/house music channel.  Colonel's old school stuff was a welcome change from that.

Ralphie came in later.  Alan had been hoping that Ralphie would come in earlier to spar with Reggie.  Instead, Reggie sparred with Kevin.  Kevin did not hang back on the ropes as much, but he was talking about how hard Reggie hits.  

I was on the bags, then shadowboxing a lot on the ring.  I think that I don't throw my right hand as nearly as much as I throw my jab.  I concentrated on my right hand and executing hooks and upper cuts.  Colonel showed me how to bend my knees a little then come up as I throw uppercuts to put a little more force behind them.

Two Chicago cops came in to observe what was going on.  One cop had been in there before, but his partner looked new to me.  Colonel and Alan always engage the cops in conversations when they come in.

In this photo, Kevin helps Nate Jr. put on his gloves (Alan, who's in the background, is shadowboxing in the ring)..  Tall Kenny and Nate Jr. could have sparred, but they said that Barry would rather they not do that unless he's there to monitor it.  I've always known Tall Kenny to tower over me, but I remember when Nate Jr. barely reached my shoulder.  Now I have to look up to him. 

I've been skipping Tuesdays on my exercise schedule; this week was no exception.  I have to make up that day tomorrow, so I guess whenever I get up, I'll pop a DVD in and do a quick workout.  Hopefully, it'll counteract the pounds I'm sure to gain.  My stepmother is a good cook, and I'll be having dinner with her sometime later.

No comments: