Thursday, October 27, 2011

Late For The Gym



A high school buddy of mine, Elizabeth, was in town.  I hadn't seen her since 1976. . .let me explain.  Elizabeth only attended the high school for the 1975-1976 school year.  Her mother made her transfer to another school after that year.  We had an art class together, but I always remembered her because she was quiet, she loved comedian George Carlin, and when she did speak, she had intelligent things to say.  I hung out yesterday evening with her and husband at Hugo's Frog Bar, where another former classmate, John, works as a musician.  It was a good, relaxing time.  "My husband was hoping that you would come by.  He was intrigued to hear that you're a boxer," Elizabeth smiled. 

I stayed a little longer than I intended because I was enjoying everyone's company so much.  When I arrived at the gym, Colonel said, "Girl, we thought a serial killer had gotten a hold of you!"  Alan was perched on top of his desk.  "I was about to call you to see where you were," he smiled.

A lot of activity was going on.  Nate Sr. (seen bending over in the photo above) was there with his son, Nate Jr. (the young man sitting down in the photo), along with another kid whom I have seen before, but couldn't remember his name.  The boys were sparring, probably because they have matches coming up.  That's usually the case when the fighters who are under 18 show up to the adult boxing class. 

I kept on practicing keeping my chin down, which is a move I should have mastered years before.  Colonel told me to drop my head, then lean it over to the right.  That way, I don't get a crick in my neck.  He also said I should aim my jabs a little higher, using my shoulder to protect the side of my face.  The object is to keep an opponent from easily coming over with their right to pop me. 



Seth (in the orange shirt) sparred with Ray (who's looking for gloves on the glove table).  I they did a couple of rounds.  Then Kevin got in with Ray.  Alan kept yelling at Kevin not to do the stay-by-the-ropes-and-cover-up thing that Kevin did when he sparred with Alan the other day.  Kevin still did that a few times, but he did stand up and box with Ray.

Sarah came in, but I begged off sparring again.  There is a crick in my neck, the result of continuing fallout from the fight with Meg a couple of weeks ago, plus sparring with Sarah right behind that fight.  This is one of those times when I feel like my body is really out of whack.  When I exercise at home with the DVDs, I find myself constantly making modifications to the moves I see.  My knees won't cooperate, I can't bounce around, I can't bend too far. . . .it's a trip.  The good thing is I am getting used to exercising five days a week.  I gained a pound from last week, but that's okay.  Eventually, the numbers will go back down. 

At the end of the night, Colonel said he forgot that Halloween is this upcoming Monday.  "I like to scare the kids around the neighborhood," he grinned, and told us how he tricks out his house to achieve that.  I don't celebrate Halloween because it wasn't celebrated much in my house when I was a kid.  Over the years, I've also had a problem with a "holiday" that celebrates darkness in this world.  In addition, too many adults use the day to really show out in many wrong ways.  Speaking of which, Alan grinned and said, "I like driving around on Halloween and looking at the women in their scanty costumes."  "I'm telling Riva," I said, referring to his wife.  "I tell her that I look," Alan replied, grinning even wider.

No comments: