Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fall Newcomers


Kenny was looking forward to the show fight on the 23rd of this month, but Alan got word that show was canceled.  Sam told Alan that someone died -- not sure who if the person in question was a promoter or part of the staff of the church where the fight was going to be held -- so the show will not go on.  Next up is our annual boxing show, which is next Friday.  Alan was concerned that Jacob that did not come in to train since there is a big possibility that Jacob may have a fight at the Loyola Park show.

Several newcomers were in the gym, as today was the start of the fall session.  Patty and Baia (I'll get the spelling straight) are friends.  Patty also knows Jamil, whom I haven't seen in months.  Both women stated what is a common chant among most women who come to the gym: "I don't want to spar."  Right on cue, I later overheard Alan trying to sweet talk them into trying it.   He might not be successful this time.  Baia was very adamant about not getting into a situation where she could be knocked out.  Patty couldn't wrap her mind around how people can take getting hit during sparring and bouts.  Colonel told her that after the first time, people aren't as apprehensive about that because they know it's coming, which is true.  Henry and Benjamin were two other new persons.

I was surprised to see Igor -- who used to drive Steve nuts back in the day -- waiting outside the gym door.  He had a buddy with him named Victor.  Alan knew Victor from 15 years ago when Victor used to train under him.  Victor is in his late 50s, and he looked to be in great shape.  He claimed that he goes back and forth to the Ukraine to box professionally, and that he's won the Ringside championship a few times.  Victor walked around with a video camera, catching Igor's workout on tape.



Benjamin surprised me by jumping into the ring to spar with Kenny.  "Might as well since I'm here", was his response when I asked if he was going to spar.  It is rare for newcomers to spar the first night they are in the gym.  "He doesn't have a mouthpiece", I told Alan.  "That's his choice", Alan replied before telling Benjamin to keep his mouth closed while sparring.  Henry also sparred with Kenny, so that was a first to see two newcomers take on the challenge of sparring on the first day of a new session. 

Sarah and I participated in another ring war, but she clearly had the upper hand.  She hit me with an uppercut, and I had my mouth open.  It stunned me.  I backed up in a vain attempt to get some distance and clear my head, but Sarah continued to come forward.  A right hook clocked me in the head and got me off balance, as did a few other head shots.  "Come on, Hillari!  She's just as tired as you!" Alan barked as I started to falter quickly.  Every time it got near the end of a round, Alan did a countdown.  Maybe it was the hits I took, but I could have sworn I heard him say the number two twice at the end of the third round.

Ralphie made a surprise appearance.  He's been working and busy with his one-year-old son, which is why he hasn't been in for awhile.  "I'm on vacation this week, so maybe I'll come in on Wednesday, too," he said. 



The mess pictured above is some of what I had to clean up this past weekend after the exterminators decided they didn't like how I originally moved my things around for them.  Fortunately, I was able to get rid of a lot of stuff I didn't need anymore.  Unfortunately, there was some damage caused by the exterminators that I didn't catch before.  Three of the storage bins I owned had to be tossed due to damage from the heat treatment, and the external speakers I had for my computer are not working.  Maybe I shouldn't complain. . .I've only seen a few bed bugs since the treatment, and I zapped them all.  Haven't seen any since (crossing my fingers). 

No comments: