Monday, July 18, 2011

Sparring All Around

I turned on the fan that's built into the back window of the gym, as well as the box fan.  It didn't do much.  Ray commented, "You can just stand around and sweat and lose calories in here!"  Despite of the heat, the gym was well attended tonight.

Taheerah and Ursula sparred.  Taheerah kept coming forward.

 

Then I got into the ring with Taheerah.  I put out as many straight punches as possible, including an overhand right.  The video clip of us sparring looks odd because Alan was holding my camera, and he hasn't quite got the hang of how to operate it.  Plus, I had problems uploading it, so it's not featured here.



After some coaxing by Leon, Jimmy agreed to spar with him.  Alan got into the ring to referee, and he had to warn Leon several times to go easy.  Jimmy did take a shot to the side.  "He didn't hit me as hard as he could have, but I feel it," Jimmy told me later.

Matt, Alan's son, came in, and he sparred with Oscar.  Matt plans to go to college for a year here in Illinois, then transfer.  He's eyeing a kickboxing team at a school out in California.

Ray and Alan had a great sparring session -- with no headgear -- which ended prematurely because Ray slipped and fell.  Ray got in a nice, crisp uppercut on Alan right before Ray fell. Kenny, Oscar, and Marcus also sparred, so the ring was used a lot tonight.

1 comment:

Lisa Creech Bledsoe said...

Watching the clip of Ursula and Teheera I totally remembered my early days of sparring, and how hard it was sometimes to get to the end of the round! These girls hung in there, good for them.

I would *hate* sparring without the ropes like that, always worrying about stepping over the edge. But our gym's ring isn't even in that good of shape; we can't spar in it at all. And they will be ages fixing it. I'm hoping this year.