Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Feeling Menopausal

Another hot night in the gym, and the fan didn't do much in terms of circulating fresh air around.  I was happy when I opened my locker to find the air freshener I placed inside still worked.  It will need to be replaced soon, however; I think it's been in there for about three months.

Oscar sparred with Jesus for a round, then I got in with Jesus.  "You've worked with him in the ring before, right?" Alan asked.  "Nope, this will be the first time," I answered.  He didn't give many hard hits, but he kept busy enough to prevent me from landing a lot of my harder shots.  Somewhere in the second round, I heard Alan say to me, "You're not tired -- work!"  Oh, yeah, I'm tired, I thought to myself, and the realization came that it wasn't all from the energy expended in sparring.   After the third round, I went over and sat down directly in front of the fan, my legs out in front of me.  Alan had to chuckle when he saw me.

It wouldn't have been nice to keep hogging the fan, so eventually I got up so I could watch Jimmy and Jacob spar.  "How do you feel?" Alan asked.  "Menopausal", I replied.



There seems to be a great interest among the guys in Jacob's style of boxing.  "He's really coming along.  I saw those punches he was throwing and I was like, whew!" Ray commented.  Kenny held pads for Jacob afterwards, and Jacob's punches reverberated around the room.  Some of the guys stopped their workout to watch how he was doing.  When Professor is around (he wasn't in the gym that night), he likes holding pads for Jacob and giving him pointers, too.  Alan would like for Jacob to consider taking a fight at some point. 


In the above photo, Oscar and Nathaniel wait for the bell to ring to start their sparring session.  Note the condition of the ropes at the back of the ring.  We're all hoping that will be fixed in a hurry.  



Jesus shadow boxes in the mirror some time after he and I sparred.


Kenny works with Oscar on the pads in the photo above.  One of Kenny's ribs got separated from the ribcage.  "How did that happen?" I asked, thinking about the time I bruised a rib while ice skating.  "I think it happened during sparring.  Luckily, it didn't puncture a lung.  I figured I wasn't coughing up blood, so it's all good!" he said.

No comments: