Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'm Still Not Moving My Head

Erin contacted me today via email, stating that she was interested in coming back to the gym.  Her uncle John was a professional boxer back in the day; now he coaches.  I gave her the information about the gym hours and fees.  It'll be good to see her in the gym if she comes back.  She had to leave boxing alone for awhile because she went to school.


Leon was in the gym, but again, he didn't stay for the entire session.  He put on headgear, and Alan asked who he was going to spar with.  "Any guy who's available," he answered.  But Derek and Tommy, the only other men in the gym on Wednesday, weren't interested.  Alan wasn't about to do it.  He's still waiting for his torn rotator cuff to heal.  "How about his guy?" Alan joked, pointing to me.  "I don't have any energy for her," Leon smiled.


Sarah and I sparred for three rounds.  Alan told me later that he was trying to get me to dig into her body more with uppercuts. It made sense to me, because I can't get uppercuts to her head. I tried for the body, but I found myself too close too many times, so I didn't give myself room to make them effective.  I did get in body hooks, but those did little to slow Sarah down.  I wasn't moving my head at all, so it got knocked around until the second and third rounds, when I kept my hands up more.  I overheard Alan ask Amy if she would spar her sister.  "I don't think so. . . she beat me up enough when we were kids," Amy grinned.


Sarah mentioned that she had a toddler, a little girl.  "I didn't know you had a child," I said.  "That's why I took off from boxing for awhile," Sarah explained.

No comments: