Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Exchanges In The Ring

I was a little late to the gym because I was too busy watching the beginning of a movie called "In & Out".  I saw it a few years ago at the movie theater, and I hadn't seen it since then.  It stars Kevin Cline, Joan Cusack, Matt Dillon, and Tom Selleck.  Funny movie, but I should have left the house earlier.  I took a couple of my old free weights with me to donate to the gym.


Leon sparred with Jacob.  This time, Alan didn't get inside the ropes to referee.  The coach wasn't feeling too well and didn't bother to change into his workout clothes.  Leon and Jacob were up against the ropes a lot  whenever I looked up to check out the action. 



Leon and Alan were making jokes earlier about prostrate exams which I will not repeat here.  Trust me, they were funny.  Alan said he was going in for a checkup this Friday.  "I wish Kenny Sr. (Colonel) was here.  When he complains about his aches and pains, it makes mine not seem so bad," Alan grinned.

Sarah and I sparred.  Alan commented that we had a lot of good exchanges during each of the three rounds were in the squared circle.  First of all, I took Alan's advice and kept my hands up and close as possible to my face.  Sarah wasn't able to get a lot of punches to my head when I did that.  She did bean me on the top of my head, however, with what seemed like an overhand right.  Twice, due to Sarah's punches and me not watching my balance, I fell to the canvas.  I stayed on the inside as much as I could by throwing hooks to her body.  Sarah said afterwards, "I think I'm going to have a lot of bruises on my mid-section tomorrow."  I staggered over to a nearby stool, plopped down, and attempted to fan away a hot flash.

Sooner or later, I will have to replace a couple pieces of my personal equipment.  Before sparring, I noticed my mouthpiece had a crack in it on one side.  Both of my bag gloves have tears in them.  I do have a newer mouthpiece, but it's one of those that covers both the upper and lower teeth.  I never got used to it, so I will eventually buy a mouthpiece that only covers the upper teeth.  Bag gloves will have to picked carefully, too.  I still remember the sprain my right wrist sustained several years ago because I was using a pair of bag gloves that were ridiculously thin.  I wonder if the current pain in my right wrist is related to that former injury.


Tommy, shown on the speed bag near the tear drop bag in the photo above, comically vowed to master the speed bag.

I'm finished with my paralegal studies; just waiting to receive my certificate.  I may go down to Hamlin this weekend to get some extra sparring in.  Bill told me a long time ago that I could come to his gym, but school started and I couldn't take him up on his offer.  I have to plan extra workouts, also, and that may include working out in the church's gym again.

No comments: