Friday, March 04, 2011

Liver Shot

I got to Gordon Tech closer to 7:00 PM Friday night for the Golden Gloves, and quickly found Kenny and Danny.  They were sitting way up in the bleachers.  When Alan came in later and we gestured to him, he gave us a look that said, "I can't make it all the way up there!"  He remained down on the floor. 

I talked to a guy named Victor who was looking for a coaching job with the Park District.  I told him about a posting I saw about Simons Park needed a new coach.  "I'm assuming that Johnny Heard is retiring," I told Victor.  Victor confirmed that Heard is a a friend of his, and yes, Heard is retiring.  I suggested that Victor start with checking the Chicago Park District's web site.

Kenny assisted Alan in the corner with Danny.  Barely a minute into the fight, Danny was on the canvas.  I first I thought he took a low blow.  Turns out that it was a liver shot.  The referee had no choice but to count Danny out when he didn't get back up quickly.  I felt bad for him.  He started out strong, but got caught as they say.

Tomorrow night will be Kenny and Oscar's turn in the ring.  

No comments: