Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day at the Gym

Upon seeing all the guys in the gym when I walked in Monday night, I commented, "So I see I wasn't the only one who couldn't get a date."  Alan laughed and wished me a happy Valentine's Day.  Two of his high school buddies, Ira and Donny, were visiting the gym that night.  He introduced them to me.  When Frank came in, it was like old home week.  He had gone to the same high school as Alan and the other two men.

Sparring was done on a round robin basis.  Below, Alan and Ira watch as Kenny and Hector spar.  Later, Alan sparred with Danny (Kenny's friend).  I believe Oscar sparred with Jacob.  Professor sparred with Kenny. 


There was a lot of activity in the gym, as has been per usual over the last few weeks.  I wasn't feeling my workout for some reason, and I didn't work as hard as I usually do.  I was so happy to get down to the gym the one day of the week I've been able to go, but then I got lazy when I got there.  Below, Frank and the Colonel (Ken Sr.) talk, as Hector looks on.


I don't know what's up with Angela.  She started the second week of this current term, came in one other time, but hasn't been seen since.  If you're wondering why there have been no shots of women (other than myself) here lately, it's because I'm the only woman in the gym again.


A couple of looky loos -- one Black, the other Hispanic -- who had hung around the gym the week before came back to get another look.  I heard the Black kid say something to Alan about the fee being a little high for him.  I've said it before; the high fee keeps a lot of guys out who would otherwise be there. 

I had gone to fill the water bottles when suddenly, a group of kids appeared outside the door of the gym.  It looked as if one kid was being ganged up on and the confusion threatened to spill inside the gym.  I hurried back down the hall with the idea that I may have to break up a fight and/or throw somebody out of the gym.  Turned out the kids were playing around, and they quickly dispersed.  However, it didn't look good.  A preview of what we might have to put up when the weather is warm again, perhaps. 

No comments: