Tuesday, November 03, 2009

JJ's Lessons

Rick, who's a boxing official, as well as a coach, came in with JJ last night.  Rick set up a camera to record JJ's moves so they could work on improving them.  "There are people who can box, but not everyone who boxes can teach boxing," Rick told Alan and I later.  That's true.  I often find myself stumbling over words in order to explain technique to people.  I have it in my head, but I can't always communicate it like I want.  I have to work on that. 

Leon and Ieisha were no shows again.  Oscar wasn't there, either.  Vivian and Ashley came in, did a short workout, then they left.  Jamil complained of not feeling well, and he was gone before the evening ended, too.  Carlos came in, but he didn't have Justin with him.  Mike came in; he told me that he saw the video of my fight on YouTube.  "You were Joe Louis, and your opponent was Muhammad Ali," he said.

Apparently, I have not been throwing my right all the way out.  Alan told me, "Don't shorten it, extend your arm and turn your leg into it."  "I've been working on the overhand right, but it doesn't come out the way I want," I told him.  "Then don't use that punch.  Use the other ones in your arsenal and modify them to make them work for you," the coach replied.  I continued to shadowbox, and worked on body punches and hooks, a set of punches that I seldom seem to use while sparring.  I'm going to have to employ them more, especially for the match in December.

When I arrived at work this morning, I discovered that someone had dropped off a box of clothes and a bag of toys for the food and clothes pantry.  Fitz, the custodian, helped me put them away.  I went through the bag of toys and found a Spiderman action figure.  "Justin might like this," I thought to myself, as I took it back to my office.  If he comes in with his dad tomorrow, I'll give it to him.

"When is your match?" Pastor asked me before I left work today.  "It's on December 9th, the day after my birthday," I told him.  Virginia said, "That sounds like that's on a Wednesday."  "Yes, it is.  We can't go," Pastor said.  Prayer meeting and the Adult Bible Study take place on Wednesday nights.  I thought to mention Sheridan Park, which has a boxing show later this week.  However, there is no guarantee there'll be a fight for me there. 

No comments: