Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sparring Virgins

The gym was more crowded than usual last night.  Vic, a new guy came in.  He told me he hadn't boxed in 15 to 20 years.  Vic used to work out at Clarendon with an uncle of his.  He plays soccer a lot, but wanted to get in even better shape.

Ashley and Vivian arrived with two more women.  The guys were already matched up for sparring purposes.  I suggested to Alan that I spar with one of the new women.  There are people who make a habit of always seeking out newbies to spar with, thinking they'll be easy pickings.  Jordan, the know-it-all that used to come in the gym when Steve was the coach, did that all the time.  My purpose was to see if they would be interested, and break them in slowly into sparring.  Vivian straight out said no, but Ashley was game.  After we got into the ring, I noticed that she had long arms.  "Eh, another instance of trying to figure out how to get around that," I thought to myself. 

As I promised, I went light, only tapping her in the face and on her body.  We only went one round.  I had taken my gloves off when Alan said to me, "No, stay in!"  Oscar got in the ring with me, but he didn't wear any headgear.  How things usually go when he and I spar:  I'm able to get a few head shots in, then Oscar starts punching non-stop, backing me up into the ropes and corners.  I was popped in the nose once.  "Are you okay?" he asked.  "I'm fine," I answered, hoping that I wouldn't end up with another deviated septum. 

Later, Ashley was sparring again, without headgear, against one of the new women who came in.  The new woman had headgear on, and struck Alan and I as being very well-composed in the ring.  Ashley kept turning her head as punches came in, and ended up being hit on the back of her head.  "Illegal punch!" I called to the new woman. 

"Bill at Hamlin told me he has a girl whose had a couple of fights.  She's lost both of them, but she's a fire fighter and stays in the ring.  Depending on how tall she is, I'll have to decide whether she's good for you or Ieisha for Friday's boxing show," Alan told me last night.  "A fire fighter?  Despite the fact she's lost her fights, she's probably in great shape," I thought to myself.  I also had the sinking feeling that it might be a "so close, but so far" situation.  A few years ago, I came very close to getting a fight at the boxing show, but it fell through at the last minute. I'll find out on Friday. 

No comments: