Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fallout After The Punch

Mary was very concerned about Deo (not Deon, as I wrote on Monday) being hurt in the gym. She asked Alan to come down the hall to talk with him about it. They were gone for a long time, and I feared that Alan might get into trouble because of it. Deo is 19 years old, about 6 feet tall, and thin. Leon is 36 years old, 6'5, and is easily over 250 solid pounds.

Johnny was in the hallway jumping rope, and Ieisha was walking towards us, having just arrived at the field house. Johnny asked if Deo was okay. "Leon's punch broke Deo's eye socket. He has to have surgery next week," I told him. "No fucking way!" Johnny exclaimed. When Ieisha heard this she said, "I was thinking about not sparring today. Now I know I don't want to spar today." As my left hand is still acting funny, I wasn't hot on sparring either last night.

Mary put the hammer down: no one can work out and/or spar in the gym unless they have paid to be there. Alan wanted to make exceptions for people like Willie and JJ, who come in from time to time, but Mary would not budge. I told him, "Mary used to get on Steve about that all the time." I understand Mary's position. It's a liability issue. Leon is not officially signed up to train at Loyola Park. I also understand Alan's stance. It seemed to be a understanding that people who train at Chicago Park District boxing gyms could go train at other gyms in the Park District system without paying a fee. That would also go for boxing officials like Gary and Yale, for example. Even though it has happened, I'm assuming that it is not looked upon favorably by Park District administrators.

Willie remembered Leon trying to goad him into sparring one of the last times he was there. "I guess Leon made it bad for everyone else. Now I've got to come up with the fee," he said. Alan had to tell his cousin Ricky to sign up his sons, and he also told Art, a new guy, that he had to pay. "Mary's the boss, so I have to go along with it," Alan sighed.

No comments: