Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tylenol Punches

This morning, I went looking for the first aid kit in Pastor's office. "I need some aspirin", I wearily announced. "Are you feeling okay?" he asked. "I got knocked in the head last night, but I didn't feel it until today. I wasn't expecting the punches to be that hard," I replied.

Last night, I sparred with Ieisha. I called myself going easy on her, because Ieisha said previously that she hadn't sparred before. I think I got one shot in, and that was a left jab early on in the round. After that, I was pummeled with a series of very hard, strong punches. Alan was after me to keep jabbing and throw overhand rights, but I spent most of the one round we did covering up. "Those were some good strong punches," I told Ieisha afterwards. "Are you sure you haven't done this before?" Alan asked her. She indicated that was true. Alan smiled at me, "I think she's not telling the truth." Later, he would say that Ieisha showed "natural ability". Somebody get that girl a fight!

E returned with his little boy last night. "No one from the previous session signed up again?" he asked me. It certainly looked that way. For example, Maggie never returned after I gave her that right hook. Melanie and Heather disappeared before the spring session ended, and Oksana had been gone.

Another guy came in with his little boy for a few moments. I heard him tell the kid, "I used to box here a long time ago." Before I got a chance to ask him anything (he walked in during the middle of a round, and I was shadow boxing) the guy and his son left. He might have trained under Harlein, a former coach who passed away several years ago.

Four younger boys hung around the door of the gym. They witnessed the sparring session between Ieisha and I. I came out to look at the clock in the wood shop room (the clock in the gym is currently not working). One of the boys said, "She was fighting with that other girl." I walked back to the gym, and another boy asked, "Were you fighting?" "Yeah, and she throws very hard punches," I answered. The boys looked impressed.

No comments: