Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Punching While Short

"Are you loosened up?" Alan asked me. "As much as a middle-aged woman can be," I answered. I sparred twice last night, first with Maggie, and then with Melanie. Maggie had no mouthpiece, so I had to pull punches and be extra careful of putting my fist in her face. I started off strong, throwing a lot of jabs, but I got tired out. Definitely need more conditioning in my exercise routine.

Katie and Heather sparred next. Katie is getting better at using her arm length. Heather's jabs are coming along, but she hesitates a lot before throwing the next punch. She doesn't use her right enough, either, but that will come in time.

When they came out, I got in with Melanie. She is getting more confident in the ring. I took a few hard shots from her. "You don't mind if I hit harder, don't you? I just assume that you will hit back harder," she said to me last night. "No, I don't mind," I smiled. I can take a bit of punishment. I've always figured that was because I come from a family of short women (on my mother's side) who are built quite tough. My Aunt Mary, who is 4'11, is always fond of telling people, "Dynamite comes in small packages." "Why were you hitting me on top of my head?" Melanie asked. Alan had told me a few times before to utilize the overhand right. But Melanie is closer to my height, than say, Katie.

Alan joked to Steve, a newer guy in the gym (not to be confused with the former coach) that he retired Kiki. Kiki was the doctor that used to come in the gym with his fiancee Sol. Kiki's eye was injured during a sparring match between him and Steve. Sol has come in on ocassion, but Kiki hasn't been in since.

Oscar and Leon sparred, and I noticed Oscar kept going for Leon's head. Oscar is not a whole lot taller than me, and I'm very short (5'1). Leon is about 6'5 and muscular. I thought, "If I was in there against Leon, I'd have to fight inside the whole time." I'd just waste a lot of energy constantly going for the head of anyone who towers over me.

Leon claimed that he was going to travel to an amateur boxing tournament in another state. Alan, Ralphie and Sadiq wanted proof. "Oh, I'll bring it in and put it up on the wall," Leon said.

No comments: