Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Kid's Request

I received an odd request from a little girl who was hanging around the gym on Monday night. She wanted to borrow a pair of boxing gloves. "I'll bring them back on Wednesday," she said. She claimed that she was visiting the city and would be going back to New York soon. "The gloves are Park District property, and can't be given out," I told her. I don't know what she planned to do with the gloves.

It appeared that half of the new people who began the Spring session last week did not return to the gym. That's not unusual. What was unusual that it was the first time in seven years that the adult boxing gym didn't at least have two or three guys competing at the Gloves this year. The gym is usually hopping with activity this time of year with guys preparing to go for the belts.

I was going to buy Golden Gloves tickets online, but I had a funny feeling. I didn't notice anything that assured me that the web site was secure. I'll just have to take my chances and show up early next week to see if any tickets for the final bouts are left.

There is actually a coach's certification clinc on Saturday. I'll have to get up early in the morning to catch a commuter train; the clinic is in Harvey, IL. I downloaded the latest copy of the rules and regulations (I had last year's copy at home) to make sure I was up on the new changes in the rules.

No comments: