Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Relaxed In The Ring

Oksana was surprised when Alan told her and I that we could spar in the ring first. Later, she apologized to Alan for being irritated the other week when she and I went in last. Alan smiled and said, "I learned my lesson. My mother didn't raise any fools."

I was amazingly relaxed in the ring. Usually, I'm a little tense. Too many flashbacks to schoolyard fights, I guess. I paid attention when Oksana gave advice such as, "Protect your face!" and "Keep your eyes open!" It was very helpful. Alan kept telling me to throw overhand rights. I will practice those on the bags, but seldom throw them during sparring. Oskana and did two good rounds.

Sadiq came in, and I was glad to see him. He asked about JJ, Mike, and some of the other guys who used to come into the gym. Melanie, who had attended the gym along with Betty about three years ago, came in with a friend named Heather. I was just thinking about Melanie the other week, and wondering what happened to her. "Betty lives out south, so it's easier for her to take boxing classes out there," she told me.

I had forgotten that tonight started the new spring session. Manny was confused by all the new faces. "What's going on today?" he wondered out loud. About eight new people signed up, including a guy who had a little girl with him. He looked young, so I assumed the girl was his little sister. She explained that he was actually her dad.

Last night, I did a long overdue update to my boxing web, www.survivethegym.com . I need to keep it fresh more often than I do.

No comments: