Thursday, March 06, 2008

Igor's Pipe Dream

I was the first one to arrive at the gym last night, so I waited outside the door for Steve to arrive. Igor showed up next, mumbling about his plans to enter the Golden Gloves. When Gilberto saw us there, he came and unlocked the door. A poster announcing the registration dates/times and the dates of the tournament was under the door. Igno spied the poster and proceeded to pester both Gilberto and I about the dates. Gilberto was able to escape, as he had to go back to his duties, so Igor continued to ask me the same things over and over. Finally, I became annoyed and told him firmly, "The information is exactly what it is on the poster, Igor." He might not have picked up on all of my English, but he had to have caught my attitude. Thankfully, he left me alone to do his workout.

No sooner than Steve came in, Igor was on him, peppering him with the same questions. Steve has the patience of Job. Several times, I heard him explain patiently to Igor that he has to find someone who is no more than five years older or younger than he is in order to get a fight at the tournament. Igor is 47 years old, a year older than I, and therefore, would be in the Masters boxers category. The Chicago Golden Gloves hasn't included a Masters division in the tournament for a long time. The only way a boxer over age 35 can get a fight in that tournament is to show up during registration with another Masters division boxer. Between Steve and I, we could never find opponents for me when I was still allowed to compete before diabetes took over. Igor isn't going to have much success, either.

Kristin told me that she works out at various gyms, including a new gym that opened up on the south side. I would like to check it out. It sounds like it's sort of a replacement for the old Windy City Gym, which operated on the west side for decades before it closed down a couple of years ago.

I heard that David Diaz is having an open training session at JABB Gym today. Sure wish I could go. Sometimes, professional boxers have open trainings that the public and the press are invited to view. I've seen old films of Muhammad Ali, then known as Cassius Clay, having open training sessions at gyms. They look interesting, as well as a lot of fun.

Since my current job will be over due to downsizing after tomorrow, I sent an email to a board member who had told he had some old boxing equipment he wanted to give to me. I asked him to drop it off with Les, then I'll arrange to get it from him later.

An early warning was sent to Margaret, the choir director, that I may be missing from choir rehearsals when the Golden Gloves start later this month. The tournament begins right after Easter; I know Margaret will be happy I won't miss rehearsals before that holiday.

No comments: