Thursday, February 14, 2008

Full Of Brooks

I was surprised to walk into the gym last night and find it packed with boxers. Jack, the coach at Brooks Park, brought several of his guys in for sparring. Paul was also there with Kristen. The only regulars were myself, JJ, Mike and Ben. There were a few of this sessions newcomers at the gym, too, including Carla, Pete and Brian. Twelve year old Toby (Kevin) and his older brother Alex, who are in Loyola's youth boxing program, were there, too. It was really good to see them, because I hadn't seen them for a long time. I ran into Nate Jr. while I was riding the bus home from work, but he was playing basketball that night.

The evening consisted of non-stop sparring, with guys going in and out of the ring. A couple of guys were bloodied up a little. I know Paul took a hit, and I think Pete did, as well. Everyone had a good workout out of it.

JJ commented that Jordan should have come in that night. I wish he had. I would have loved to see him play the "I know everything" role with the Brooks guys. It would have even been better if Jordan could have sparred with them. They all would have schooled him in what he doesn't know.

No comments: