Thursday, January 31, 2008

Nice Once, Embarrassment Next Time

Steve was up at the front desk talking to Mary when I arrived at the fieldhouse. "Do you want me to talk to Jordan?" he asked. "No, I'll do it," I said. "He's down there," Steve replied, adding that he would back me up behind what I had to tell Jordan. Steve gave me the keys to open up the gym. JJ was waiting along with Jordan. "Do you have the keys?" Jordan asked when I approached them. "Yes, Jordan, I have the keys," I said, with a lot of irritation in my voice.

As soon as everyone was settled, I stepped to Jordan. "It was rude and disrespectful how you interrupted me while I was helping the new guy last Friday. I would appreciate it if you would not do that again." Jordan had an ugly look on his face, and started walking away as I got to the end of my speech. "My bad. . .I didn't mean to," he said, but I didn't believe it. "When you disrespect Hillari, you disrespect me. She's been here for awhile, and she's helped me out a lot. You could learn something from her," Steve said. No, Jordan didn't appreciate what I said. However, I didn't come to him like I normally would have towards someone in such a situation -- yelling, screaming, and cursing him out. I was nice this time.

Jordan did his usual the rest of the evening, which involved running his mouth, hitting the heavy bags without gloves on and half-doing his whole workout. He even had the nerve to ask Steve if he would get him ready for the Golden Gloves. JJ had suggested the City-Wide Tournament in March, but Steve once again reminded Jordan that he has to show that he's putting some work in.

I doubt that anything I said to Jordan sunk in. Friday will be the real test when Shawn comes back in, and I continue teaching him the basics. If Jordan pulls his usual crap again, I will embarrass him in front of the whole gym.

No comments: