Thursday, December 20, 2007

Closer To The End

Rich told me he'd been away for a month, training in Brazil at a mixed martial arts gym. He said it was intense, with training going on practically every day. Sounded fascinating to me. If I had a little more martial arts experience (I only have a yellow belt), and was about 15 years younger, I would have been all over mixed martial arts.

Steve announced that he and Ellen are very likely to sign a contract to teach at a school out of state. Terrell, Rich and Wally wondered what would happen to the adult boxing program once Steve is gone. Steve wasn't sure. I told him about Willie expressing an interest in the job. Steve said that Willie would probably make a good coach because he has the presence for it. Terrell didn't remember who Willie was, until I reminded him about the sparring match they had a few weeks ago. Willie went a little wild, and Terrell took a lot of shots to the face. "Oh, that guy," Terrell laughed.

The Chicago Park District has instituted a stricter procedure for hiring, which requires that anyone teaching a sports or exercise class has to have a degree. "Boxing is not something you go to college to learn," Steve pointed out. Barry became the kids' boxing coach because he was recommended by Harlin, the late boxing coach who ran that program for 20 years. The adult program came into being because Barry recommended Steve for the job. Steve had started in 1999, assisting Barry with the kids.

While driving me home, Steve asked me if I would be interested in taking over the coach's job. "I like coaching. But I don't have the experience that you and Barry have," I said. I would also have to get a coach's license, which I need to get next year. "I think you could do it. But you'd have to ask yourself if you'd be comfortable dealing with the characters that come in the gym from time to time," Steve said. Every time Steve has been absent, stray kids roam in along with adult oddballs. I've learned how to deal with them. I've even gotten better where the kids are concerned. I used to act so evil towards them; I guess I'm mellowing out as I get older.

My main concern is being accepted by the males. The guys who come there now are used to the middle-aged lady in the gym. I'm usually the only woman in there after all the other women have dropped out. Any new women coming into the gym would probably be comforted to see a female coach. The new guys who sign up might be a different story. I still remember one guy who was miffed because Steve asked me to teach him the basics the first day of a new session. The guy had the usual attitude of those who want to jump into the ring without learning what to do first. He also had a problem with a woman telling him anything, so he never came back after that day. As boxing is still extremely male dominated, I could see some challenges due to my gender if I became the coach.

I don't have a car, which is important for taking the fighters and their gear around to matches. I could rent a car when needed, I suppose. My father's probate case is still pending; if that money comes in there may be enough to buy a used car, I don't know.

The extra money would come in handy, that's for darn sure. There is some lead time before Steve resigns, so I will seriously give it some thought.

No comments: