Thursday, September 20, 2007

Repetitive Injury

My upper left arm had been hurting for over a week. Finally I went to my friendly MD this morning, who ruled out anything serious. "It's probably a muscle injury from throwing left jabs in the gym," he said. He suggested that I get a heating pad, and keep him notified in case things get worse. The pain flared up as I was hitting the heavybags last night, but like I always do, I ignored the pain and kept going.

Candace and Steve did some light sparring, with me calling out instructions to Candace from outside of the ring. He gave her a lot of attention last night, which will be cut short next week when the new crop of people come in for the fall session. We'll only be in the gym on Wednesday of next week; the gym is closed next Friday because of the annual fieldhouse boxing show. I still haven't practiced "The Star-Spangled Banner", which I'll sing to open the show. I need to get on it.

Everlast is one of the sponsors of the World Boxing Championship that is coming to town next month, so they hooked us up with a lot of new equipment. There were boxes of stuff when I arrived last night. The idea of the tournament organizers is that the international boxers would go to local Chicago gyms to workout while they are here. The new equipment will be nice for them to use. Steve hung up the double-end bag last night, and it feels fine. JJ was grumbling about a pair of the new bag gloves: "They're too fuckin' tight!" I told him all the new stuff will take time to break in.

Only Candace, JJ, Ben, Steve and myself were in the gym last night. I came in late because I had to go to my regular visit with my foot doctor first. Couldn't go home to change because I had to attend a mid-afternoon meeting at the main downtown office of my job, so I was carrying my gear with me. I changed into a white T-shirt and dark shorts right after the meeting. Les gave me a double look when he saw me. No, I was not going to the fundraising auction that was taking place after the meeting (which is why the meeting was scheduled when it was). Couldn't justify paying the high ticket prices, nor afford to bid on anything. It was not in my budget.

2 comments:

Knightridge Overlook said...

Hey, do you have any information about the World Boxing event? I tried to look it up on the internet a while ago, but there were so many different groups that I couldn't find which one was the sponsor, and I got sick of digging fruitlessly through website after website.

If you could point me to the right place, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Hillari said...

Try the International Boxing Association's web site:

www.abia.org