Monday, September 03, 2007

New Dad

On Friday, Steve said he ran into Javonte, who hasn't been in the gym for weeks. Javonte had been steadily improving with his boxing skills. "He hasn't been around because he had a child," Steve explained. "What? How old is he?" I said. "Nineteen," came the reply.

Quiet, soft-spoken Javonte is a dad? Took me a little time to wrap my mind around that one. Bony stopped in around the time Steve dropped the news about Javonte. Both Bony and Steve talked about how they were over thirty when they decided to have children. Bony had his six-year old son with him. "Sometimes, when these guys have kids so young, they don't stick around long," Steve said. I certainly hope that is not the case with Javonte.

JJ was talking about making plans to celebrate his birthday, which passed. I'm sorry that I forgot the date. He turned 21, which is a milestone birthday.

No comments: