Monday, August 06, 2007

Friday Before Close

Last Friday, Mort came in, and it was good to see him. His face lit up when I told him that my niece Jalissa had asked about him. I had spent some time with her while I was on vacation last week.

When I first walked in, the only persons in the gym were Steve and Bony. "Where is everybody?" Steve asked. "I got in eight rounds on the heavy bags before anyone came in!" Bony and I were able to get some pad work in before others came trickling in. Gabe came in, and it looked like he had been working out. His abs and chest were cut nicely.

Steve has to go out of town this week, and I opted not to come in, so the gym will be closed this Wednesday and Friday. If there was a major tournament coming up, I could see coming in. However, it's summer and people have been slacking off a little in regards to attendance. I wasn't surprised when Bridget didn't show up again, but I was surprised when Candace didn't show.

In regards to Bridget, she's just following a pattern that those who have children usually do: they drop out early on. This is especially true when they are always bringing their children with them when they come to the gym. I remember Brendon, who had a little girl. He disappeared before the session ended. Another guy had a cute little boy named Benny, who was also attending during the same time Brendon was. He stopped going, too. Then there was the guy who was not only showing up with his kids, but with his wife as well. He explained that his wife and kids wanted to see what the boxing program was all about. After a couple of weeks, they were satisfied with what they saw, I guess, and they stayed home. The guy stuck around another couple of weeks after that, and he dropped out.

No comments: