Thursday, May 17, 2007

Makin' Fun

JJ has a talent for imitating how others train in the gym. I'm almost afraid to ask him what I look like in the gym! He's too funny, especially when he imitates Jermaine, which he did in front of him last night. JJ makes it look like that Jermaine is so fast with his punches that no one can see them. He also does a good imitation of Keith throwing punches. Jermaine had the best impression of Keith, however -- he just sat down in a chair and rested. We all fell out laughing at that one.

Both Erin and Rachel came in; they hadn't been there for awhile. I was really glad to see Erin. I thought she might have given up after she lost her first fight at the Sabre Room last month. Rachel explained that she would have been in last week, but she had a lot of trouble with her car. It had even been towed at one point, and it's not cheap to recover a car when that happens.
Steve worked with Muhammad on the pads. I didn't hear what Muhammad said before they began, but Steve laid down the law. "You've got to put in the workout, and I can get you fights. But I don't want to go through what I went through with Keith," he told him. It appears that Keith has quit boxing, according to a conversation he had with Steve a couple of weeks ago.

Javonta was there last night as well, and I watched him as he worked on one of the heavy bags. He looked good, calculating his punches, slipping, bobbing and weaving. I hope there are some good matches coming up for him this summer.

I had to watch it while I practiced bobbing and weaving, as well as when I was doing squats. My knees were talking to me, and they weren't giving me good news. Sometimes I notice my arthritis in the gym, and sometimes it doesn't bother me. I managed to make it through the squats, but one round of bobbing and weaving was enough.

No comments: