Tuesday, April 04, 2006

White Collar Washout

I did some research and find out something that I already knew--those who are members of USA Boxing, like I am, can't compete in white collar boxing matches. Looks like I wasted my time going down to JABB Gym this past Saturday to put my name in for their their next boxing show of that type. I had hoped there might have been some way to get a match that way, but I was foiled again.

Recently, there was an article about NYC banning white collar bouts due to safety reasons. Those matches are not sanctioned by USA Boxing. They exist in a shadowland between Toughman contests (which are also not sanctioned) and amateur matches. There are three rounds that last two minutes each, and both boxers get a trophy, regardless who was the victor. The idea behind that is that white collar boxers are made up mostly of professionals--lawyers, doctors, real estate executives, etc.--who allegedly aren't used to being told "no", and don't take it well when they are, so hence the "everyone's a winner" deal.

Legislators in NYC are looking into rewriting the rules so that white collar boxing matches can continue, which would be a good thing for the older gyms that depend on the revenue that white collar boxers bring in. That's how many private gyms have kept their doors open in recent years.

No comments: