Saturday, September 17, 2005

Ladies Who Box, Or Don't

When I first took up boxing at age 39, I trained at a school known more for its martial arts programs. There was one other woman in the class. The guys appeared to be very comfortable with her, so I figured she had been there for some time. I got the feeling that she thought I wouldn't last long. There were about three women who came in after me. Two of them came fully loaded with all kinds of boxing gear. They got bored quick with having to practice the punches over and over. I saw them gossiping and giggling in the corner instead of training about 95% of the time. The coach believed that everyone should spar. The chatty Cathys eyebrows went up. "We have to get hit?" they said in horror. What in the world did they think boxing consisted of? Needless to say, they disappeared after a few weeks. Another woman came in, all fired up, going on and on about what she hoped to accomplish in the class. She was around for a couple of weeks before she blew out as fast as she blew in. I lasted eight months, but I had a legit excuse as to why I left the class. My younger sister, who had struggled with oral cancer for a couple of years, was told that her time on Earth was limited.

Several months after my sister's memorial service, I decided it was time for me to go back to a gym. I had not only taken boxing at the other place, but I had taken martial arts as well. Martial arts was enjoyable, but I felt more at home in the boxing class. To my surprise, I found out that the fieldhouse down the street from me had ran a boxing program for a couple of decades.

This time, I was the only woman in the gym for a long time. After awhile, some women started to trickle in during each new session. The feeling of being intimidated in what is still mainly an all-boys club is very real. I felt it when I first took up the sport, which is why I try to make the other women who came in feel comfortable. It is my way of saying, "Yes, you can do this, and it is okay to be here." It's not that Coach doesn't make them feel welcomed, but I feel it also helps them to see another female wearing gloves. Unfortunately, I usually ended up being the only girl hanging with boys again by the middle of the session. There is only one other women in the gym now, Petite Warrior, who appears to be very focused. Hopefully, she will be there for awhile.

Why do they leave? Many reasons. Newcomers are taught the basics coming in, but then are expected to take the initiative to do the workout on their own after a few weeks. Some want personal attention all the time, however, and the adult program is not set up for that. Many women in this society are still being taught that it is not ladylike to hit. That is detrimental logic in an age when violence against women is very high. Some women are turned off by the tough workout, the sweat and the blood. It's the old "I didn't think it would be like this" routine.

I was glad to hear the head of boxing for the park district announce recently during a boxing show that the gyms are open for women to train, too. He said this after a match featuring two teenaged girls. I have noticed a lot of teen girls in boxing over the past year. Still haven't seen any girls under thirteen in the gyms, but hopefully, that will change over time.

No comments: