Saturday, September 10, 2005

Another Boxing Show

I went to a park district boxing show a few days ago. Coach was hoping to get CoolMex a bout, but unfortunately, he didn't get matched up. CoolMax told me he is planning to move to Las Vegas next year. He wants to be a professional boxer, and senses time is running out because he's in his early twenties.



Little Scrapper got another match. He said his brother, Scrappy Brother, had to stay at home and finish his homework, or else he would have been there. I like Little Scrapper. He's never nervous before a match or during it. The boy he fought against looked like that old cartoon character, Droopy. I felt sorry for the kid, but he did manage to stay in there against Little Scrapper for a couple of rounds.



There was a girl who told the coach of the fieldhouse where the show was being held that she wanted to fight. He allowed her to get into the ring despite the fact that she had never spent a day in boxing training. I overheard her talking a lot of trash to her friends before the match. "You think I'm afraid of a little hit?" she said. Someone told her, "Boxing and street fighting are two different things." They were right. The girl got her head handed to her by Pony Tail, a girl who I had seen spar with Petite Warrior, who is the only other woman in my gym besides me. Pony Tail is good. Had to give that girl her respect--she lasted the three rounds with Pony Tail, and kept on going.



Last night, Old Pops asked my coach were there any upcoming matches for me. "I've been trying to get a match for her for two years," Coach explained. It's my age that keeps me from being able to find opponents. I came close to having a match during my gym's boxing show last fall, but at the last minute, the local boxing council decided against it. "She's older and heavier than the other girl," they said. I often wonder if I should have been so honest about my birthdate. I know another female boxer who lied about her age to get into a major amateur competition--it was the only way she was going to get in, and she won.



Luckily, I like other aspects of boxing besides being in the ring. I help out in the corners whenever I can, and I'm learning more about the history of the sport. Have an eye on coaching down the line.

No comments: