Saturday, July 16, 2016

Not Getting It


William asked me to open up the room where the seasonal sports coach keeps most of his equipment.  The seasonal sports coach was sitting right behind the door.  "I'm sorry, I don't want to knock anyone over," I said to the coach.  Then I looked up and spotted Kentrell.

Kentrell is the kid who shows up at the gym on and off, goofing around with the equipment.  Several sessions ago, he and his brother Quintrell, used to be registered for the boxing class.  Neither boy was that interested in the sport. Every time I warn Kentrell off of the equipment, the boy lies and says he's still registered for the class, or says his mother signed him up.  We have the same conversation each time, and I have told Kentrell I'm tired of repeating myself to him.  Then Kentrell has the nerve to get an attitude because I won't let him do whatever he wants.  The last time, Kentrell hit the flex bag (which is now broken) on his way out in defiance of me.

In front of the seasonal coach, I announced to Kentrell that he was no longer allowed in the boxing gym unless he brings his mother with him.  Now the boy can try me again if he wants, but when I throw him out if he shows up again, I have the seasonal coach as a backup to prove that the boy disregarded my direct order.

An adult walked in to the gym and started hitting the speed bag.  I was in the ring holding the punch mitts for Donovan.  The adult said nothing to me before touching the equipment.  I curtly told the guy he had to sign up if he wanted to do that before resuming working with Donovan.  He gave me a dumb Urkel-like "oh, I guess I wasn't supposed to do that?" look.  Several minutes later, the guy returns, accompanied by the attendant on duty.  "You're the coach?" the guy asked in great disbelief.  "Women do coach," I replied coldly.   Who in the hell did the guy think I was?  The fact that I was working with Donovan should have given him a hint.  After I explained that adults have to pay for boxing class, it appeared the guy's interest faded.  Strike one.

About a half-hour later, the guy returns with his teenage son.  The guy's son didn't appear to be overly interested in seeing the gym.  I told the guy the class was full.  Unfortunately, a lot of parents don't seem to know what "full" means.  The guy started whining about his son only being with him for the summer, and him wanting the kid to have something to do before he sends him home to his mom.  Strike two.

I proceeded to point out that it is now the middle of July, and most summer programs have long been filled by this time.  The guy thought that I should give his son a "tryout".  Seeing how that meant letting his kid use equipment without being officially in the class, that was a no from me.  Strike three, and the guy was out.

Against my better judgement, I did tell the kid he could come in the class and sit and watch.  But I have a feeling that may involve me having to tell his dad -- way more forcefully the next time -- that I'm not going to allow his kid to participate in the class.  My filter when it comes to parents who want to do something that will compromise the program, be unfair to the other kids in the program and inconvenience me is slowly becoming non existent.

The attendant told me, "Some people just don't get it," as he shook his head.

No comments: