Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Jacob Does His Rounds

Alan worked Jacob Monday night.  I believe Jacob did about nine rounds with several of us: myself, Sarah, Nate, and Nathaniel.  "Poor Jacob is going to get worked to death!" I told Alan. 


In the photo above, Nate wards off an attack from Jacob as Alan looks on.  I believe that was Nate's first time sparring at the gym.  He did a good job hanging in with Jacob.


Sarah and Jacob are featured in the above video clip.  Alan pointed out to Sarah that she throws wild, which I know all too well.  Jacob had his hands down a few times, and she beaned him with some hooks.  Alan suggested that Sarah slow down and pick her shots.  She got tired late in the second round, and she was tired throughout the entire third round, but Sarah gamely hung on.  Jacob said he liked being in the ring with someone who wouldn't let up; it pointed out that he needs to work on his defense.

I was exhausted after going my three rounds with Jacob.  Alan told me later that the last two rounds I did were very good.  I was aiming at Jacob's head, and got him there a few times.  It was the body shots that worked better.  Finally, I thought to execute a punch from the side and avoid someone else's long arms.  I stepped around Jacob and got him in the side of his torso with a left hook. 

A little boy came in with a girl whom I assumed was his sister.  I heard him ask the girl, "They fight in here?"  before I walked over to them.  The girl said she had been going to the field house for awhile, but she had never seen the boxing gym.  I told the boy about the kids' boxing program and asked him how old he was.  "I'm five," he replied.  The boy was quite tall for his age.  "Sorry, you have to be eight years old to sign up.  You look strong, however" I told him.  "I'm stronger than my sister," he asserted.  He explained that the girl with him was not his sister, but a 17 year old who was his older brother's girlfriend.  Considering that some boys learn how to box at age three, I thought it was a shame the kid would have to wait three years. 

No comments: