Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More Good Advice

"It's only been half a round!  Why are you tired?" Alan asked me as I rested in the corner in-between rounds.  I was sparring Kenny, who was moving fast as usual.  "Because I'm old," I answered.  Now that I think about it, I sounded like some whinny little girl.  I went another two rounds with Kenny, as others in the gym looked on.  "When we're in a clinch, use your hooks.  Don't let me just hold on.  Make me pay for trying to take a rest!" Kenny advised me.  He always gives good advice.  I told him I have a hard time moving my head and getting punches off at the same time.  "It takes a long time to learn how to do that, but it can be done.  The trick is to continue to move your head while you throw punches," Kenny said.

Leon pulled a Josh -- he came in about 15 minutes before closing time.  Earlier, another guy who used to train at Clarendon, Amir, had come in at the suggestion of Leon.  He was saying, "Leon had me come in, and he ain't even here," then Leon showed up.  Another guy named Marcus came in.  He observed the goings-on for awhile before leaving. Sarah brought her sister Amy in, who wanted to sign up for the gym. 

Kenny, who's about 131 lbs., asked about getting a fight.  Alan told him he could get one anytime.  This is the season when the show fights increase, and the Chicago Park District boxing shows aren't too far behind those.  I'm trying to lose weight (again) in preparation for the fight I'll have later this summer, but finding time to get the extra exercise in is a challenge.  I keep forgetting that I still have the paralegal studies classes to finish up.  Plus, I've applied to be a notary public, and there are some classes I want to take (hopefully online) to be a notary signing agent, as well. 

No comments: