Thursday, October 01, 2009

Taunting Pops

"I really didn't want to spar tonight," Alan told me as we were leaving the gym last night.  "Why did you then?" I asked.  "Eh, sometimes I think I get taunted into it.  The guys want to take Pops on," he answered.  I suspect a lot of young men have harbored the "I can beat the old man," idea for eons.  I always figured that just because a man is over a certain age doesn't mean that he's forgotten methods of survival. Alan sparred with Carlos earlier.  After their last round, I saw spots of blood on Alan's shirt.  "One of you is bleeding," I pointed out.  Crimson seeped from Carlos' nose, and Ralphie grabbed a towel to wipe it away.

Ralphie and I sparred for a couple of rounds.  He turned while he was up against the ropes, and one of my punches caught him in the back.  Later, I was concerned because Ralphie injured his back in an car accident some time ago.  Ralphie didn't seem any worse for wear after our rounds, but I still felt bad about doing that.

Pastor Roger and Virginia returned from their vacation yesterday, and he was in the office this morning.  It was my day off, and I was waiting for Paulette, a fellow choir member, to come by.  We were going grocery shopping.  "I thought you weren't allowed to fight," he said, when I called and told him about the match I had.  "Park District fights aren't counted on a boxer's amateur record, so I was able to do so," I told the Pastor.  I invited Pastor and Virginia to the rematch I have with Meg in a couple of weeks, but they have to check their schedule. 

In the meantime, I've stepped up the exercise and watching what I eat more closely . I've been working out with kettlebells twice a week, and I really like them.  I've been walking to work every day (although that'll change once the bone cold weather comes in and snow is on the ground).  I keep a food diary.  The only thing I'm not crazy about concerning the diary is having to write my weight down every day.  When I was going to Weight Watchers a few years ago, people were advised not to weigh themselves constantly.  It could serve as a discouragement, especially when the weight doesn't come off as quickly as one wants. 

No comments: