Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nausea In The Ring

Pop, pop, pop went Oscar as he worked over my head while we sparred for two rounds.  I was made aware real fast that I was not covering up very well.  In the beginning of the first round, I had energy as I backed up Oscar against the ropes.  Quickly, what little stamina I had disappeared.  In the middle of the second round, my mouthpiece was irritating my gag reflex.  I fought nausea as I tried to shut down Oscar's flurries.  "I will not throw up," I thought to myself.  I hung over the ropes afterwards, extremely winded.  I can't start running on a regular basis because my knees can't take the constant banging anymore.  However, I have to do something to build up my stamina -- and soon.

Jamil told me that he got a full-time job.  I was happy to hear that.  Most of the young men who are in the gym now, and who have come through the door in the past have been good guys. Unfortunately, there are so many young men these days living aimless lives these days; I'm always glad to be around young men who are trying to do the right thing.

Carlos will call me tomorrow if he's able to give me a ride down to Hamlin.  Carlos and Oscar will most likely get fights.  I'll bring my gear down, but I'm not expecting to be matched up.  Johnny is planning on going, too, even though he might not get a fight, either. 

No comments: