Friday, November 28, 2008

Disagreement In The Ring

Old Jim was doing a drill with Matthew, a young man who came to the gym with his girlfriend on Wednesday. I was on the speed bag when I heard Old Jim raise his voice. "You're pushing me! I thought we were supposed to be doing drills!" he snapped. Matthew claimed that he wasn't pushing him. Then Old Jim said, "Are you showing off for your girlfriend?" Matthew took offense at this, and they continued to argue until Allen told them to cool it. It made me wonder what is going to happen if Old Jim ends up sparring with one of the younger guys. Some of the younger guys don't hold back during sparring, even though the objective is not to totally beat down the other person.

It won't be long and the Fall session will be over. The Winter session for the adult boxing program begins on January 6, 2009. Hopefully, the word will get around more that the Loyola Gym is open again, and more people will come in. I hope that those that used to train at Clarendon, which is now closed, will sign up.

No comments: