Monday, September 25, 2006

The New Girl

Kristin is in the youth program, and Barry decided that she should also come in with the adult boxing program as well. She's 17 years old, and shows promise. Barry told her and her mother that I would train her. We went over the basics, including footwork, this past Friday. There was supposed to be another girl from the youth program stopping in, but I haven't seen her yet.

Kristin's mom confessed that she is not crazy about her daughter being in boxing. However, it is something positive. Her mom felt more at ease when I told her I was "the old woman in the gym". I think she felt better about someone looking out for Kristin.

I called Tony, the guy I met at Clarendon's boxing show last week, on Saturday, out of curiosity. I guessed correctly--he lives with his mama, something he had no shame in freely admitting. His brothers, who all have kids and baby's mamas to match, are all at home, too. "I usually don't date men with kids," I told him. I dated one of those before. He had two kids and lived with his grandmother because he was irresponsible about taking care of his financial business, and his life in general. I ain't got time for that anymore. Unfortunately, he may show up at the boxing show at Loyola's fieldhouse this Friday night. He didn't take hints during our phone conversation that we aren't going to work, so I guess I'll have to be a little more forceful and rude if he bugs me then.

Mary gave me a volunteer form to fill out, so I can officially help out in the gym. Been doing it unofficially for the past three years. Steve told me Friday, "It's nice that Mary likes and trusts you." As the fieldhouse supervisor, Mary has to be careful about who is allowed where and when. I'm honored that she thinks that much of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting... I'm enjoying reading this. I shall be following what happens, particularly if he gets the hint or not ;-)